It is our pleasure to now offer York Hospital Virtual Care – a service that connects you with urgent care providers through your phone, tablet or computer. We use the latest video conferencing tools to deliver real-time care and consultation, virtually, at a time and location convenient for you
Virtual Care at York Hospital
What is a virtual visit?
A virtual visit is a way to have a visit with a healthcare provider without having to go to an office, clinic, or hospital. As a patient, you can be seen by a provider through a video conference, using a smartphone, tablet, or on your computer with a webcam. Patients see providers online for a range of issues, from minor illnesses and injuries, symptoms from a chronic condition, and even general health and wellness concerns. Virtual Visits allows for reliable and convenient visits with trained and certified providers.
What is the service used for?
Use York Hospital’s Virtual Care service for issues such as:
Cough, cold, flu, bronchitis
Sinus, ear, and upper respiratory infections
Urinary tract infection
Stomach ache, vomiting, diarrhea
Sprains and strains
Skin conditions, rash
Here are a few reasons people decide to see an online provider:
I feel like I should probably see a provider, but can’t fit it into my over-booked schedule.
It’s difficult for me to get a doctor’s appointment.
I’m not sure if I should go to the ER or not.
My doctor’s office is closed and I don’t want to go to a hospital.
I just moved and don’t know any doctors in my area.
I just want a second opinion.
I’m between jobs and have no insurance coverage.
I have a question about a loved-one’s health and would like some advice.
What are the benefits?
- Improved Access: You can see a provider, when and where you need health care.
- Cost Efficiencies: Reduce travel time/expense and time away from work.
- Outcomes: Provides diagnosis, treatment, follow up, and prescriptions (when necessary)
How do I access the service?
- Step 1 – Using Chrome, access the virtual platform by clicking on the following link: York Hospital Virtual Care
- Step 2 – Select “Register Here” and follow the steps to generate your unique profile
- Step 3 – Login using your unique username and password and follow the instructions for scheduling a virtual visit with a York Hospital Provider
How much does it cost?
The service costs $49 per visit and payments are made using debit or credit cards prior to receiving care.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is York Hospital Virtual Care?
York Hospital Virtual Care is a convenient online care service for common conditions. The service is staffed by York Hospital walk-in providers and is available 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday. Once you’re connected through the website, your doctor can review medical information you share with them, answer your questions, and at their discretion, diagnose, treat and even prescribe medication. If you receive a prescription, your provider will send it straight to your local pharmacy.
- Where can I use the service?
Patients can access the service anywhere in the state of Maine.
- What devices/computers can I use to access the service?
The Virtual Care platform supports the most recent versions of most browsers although Chrome is preferred. Additionally, access is available using apps for iOS and Android devices by searching “SnapMD” in the app store. .
- When should I use York Hospital Virtual Care?
Virtual Care treats conditions such as stuffy and runny nose, allergies, sore throat, eye infections, earache, cough, painful urination, lower back pain, joint pain or strains, and minor skin problems.
Please note that this service is not for medical emergencies. Please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room if you feel you are experiencing any of the following emergency medical problems:
- Chest pain or pressure
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Sudden or severe pain
- Coughing / vomiting blood
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Sudden dizziness, weakness, change in vision, slurred speech, numbness, or other neurological changes
- Severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea
- Changes in mental status, such as confusion
- Assault, physical or sexual abuse, or child abuse
- How do I access care?
York Hospital Virtual Care can be accessed from https://yorkhospital.connectedcare.md/Customer/login, or once you have created an account online you may download the free mobile app from your device’s mobile app store by searching for SnapMD and using your login information.
- Will providers have access to my medical record?
York Hospital Virtual Care is staffed exclusively by York Hospital providers. All of our providers have access to the medical history you provide in the platform and if you have used one of our walk-in locations before or see a York Hospital primary care physician, our providers will have access to your electronic health record.
- Can my primary care clinician see my visit?
If your primary care clinician is part of York Hospital, he or she will be able to see a note from your visit in the electronic health record.
- Is my visit private and secure?
Yes, York Hospital Virtual Care is a private, secure, HIPAA-compliant tool that allows you to safely and confidentially consult with a provider online.
- Do I need to enroll to use the service?
Yes, you must create an account online before using the service. Registering takes only a few minutes and it is recommended you register before treatment is needed.
- Can I receive a prescription from a Virtual Care provider?
Providers will prescribe medication applicable for your individual diagnosis. Please note that by law narcotics/opiates (such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc.) cannot be prescribed via telehealth visits. Also, the service does not provide prescriptions for muscle relaxants or erectile dysfunction medications.
- Why should I use the service?
It is a convenient choice for urgent needs. You can access care in the convenience and comfort of your own home. In addition, your condition can be treated at a lower cost compared to urgent care, the doctor’s office, or emergency rooms.
- Who are the providers I will see?
York Hospital Virtual Care is staffed by York Hospital walk-in providers who specialize in urgent care, family practice, and emergency medicine. All of our providers are certified and credentialed according to NCQA standards.
- How much does a visit cost?
The charge for a visit is $49, but may be less if covered as a benefit by your insurance. The fee is paid up-front by credit card. Depending on your insurance, this fee may be less than the copay for an walk-in or emergency room visit.
- Will my insurance cover this visit?
Some insurances include urgent care telehealth as a covered benefit. We are actively working with health plans to expand coverage of our visits. You may submit your receipt for reimbursement as you wish.
- What if my condition requires a physical visit?
Virtual Care providers are able to treat the majority of common complaints mentioned above, but some symptoms may require a physical visit. If our providers cannot diagnose your condition over telehealth and state that you must be seen in person, we will refer you to the most convenient location.
- What technology is required for a visit?
As long as your device has a web camera and video capability, you may use a computer, tablet or smart phone. A mobile app is available for patients using iOS (iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch) or Android mobile platforms. If you are using a mobile device, it is recommended that you connect through Wi-Fi.
- What do I do if I have trouble connecting?
We recommend always testing your computer before you connect if you are accessing from a PC or laptop, however, we also have a Troubleshooting guide published on the website.
- Can I use the service for my child?
Yes! You can add an account for your minor child as part of your own account. Please note that your child must be present during the video visit.
- I have questions about my bill or card charge, who can I speak to?
Contact Karen Kautz at 207-351-3971 or email email@example.com.
- Does my visit count as a qualified HSA or FSA expense?
Yes, our visits qualify as health care expenses. You can use any major debit or credit card with our service.
- I completed a visit, where will I see the charges for the visit?
You will see a charge for the amount on the credit card statement you used to pay for the service. A receipt will also be emailed to the email address associated with your account.