Preparing for Surgery at York Hospital
Once your surgery is scheduled by your surgeon's office, York Hospital's pre-op nursing team moves into action and a plan of care is developed for the patient. Our pre-op team will coordinate all of the necessary pre-op paperwork, review your medical history and medications and schedule any testing (if needed). We will also provide you with specific instructions and answer any questions you may have. Should you have any needs prior to your surgery, you can reach the pre-op team directly at (207) 361-3654 or (207) 361-3627. They are available Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm.
Preparing at Home for Surgery
If you become ill with fever, cold, sore throat or other illness before your scheduled surgery, then please notify your physician as the procedure may need to be postponed until after you recover from your illness. If you will be given general anesthesia or any sedation, then you must arrange for someone to drive you home following your procedure. Any anesthesia you receive may make you drowsy for up to 24 hours, so driving is not permitted. Note, York Hospital does offer transportation for a modest fee to and from the hospital by appointment. Contact them at (207) 351-3413 for details.
Other steps to prepare for surgery include:
- Please bathe or shower prior to coming in for surgery.
- Remove all nail polish, makeup, lipstick, false eyelashes and hairpieces.
- Please wear casual, comfortable, loose clothing such as sweat suits, easy button shirts or blouses that are large enough in case you have a large bandage after surgery, as well as comfortable shoes (please, no high heels). All personal items need to be removed prior to surgery. Your nurse will instruct you of any exceptions to this policy.
- Please leave valuables and jewelry at home. If you wear contact lenses, bring a case or leave them at home.
- If you wear glasses, bring your case for their safekeeping.
- If you smoke, try to quit or cut down before surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the day of your procedure, unless otherwise instructed by your surgery personnel. This includes chewing gum, mints, water and coffee.
York Hospital Surgery Center
Location & Contact
Loving Kindness Way, York, Maine 03909
Phone: (207) 351-2400