CHANCES ARE, IT'S NOT BREAST CANCER.
Did you know that three out of four breast lumps are benign? Not all lumps or changes in breast tissue mean that you have breast cancer. There are several breast disorders that are noncancerous or benign. They include cysts and fibrocystic change, fibroadenoma, breast infection (mastitis), lipomas (benign fatty tumors) and more. To find out more information on these conditions, click here.
EARLY DIAGNOSIS IS KEY.
If your test results are positive, know that we are here for you every step of the way. With early diagnosis, 97 percent of breast cancer cases are curable. The thought of having breast cancer is frightening. But, treatments and cure rates are improving every day. Our team of nurse navigators are here to help with whatever you may need - be it to answer questions, offer support, help with appointments, or just to hold your hand or provide comfort to you and your family.
YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS.
If your diagnosis is breast cancer. We will be with you every step of the way. York Hospital's Breast Cancer Collaborative offers a commitment to patient-centered care through seamless coordination by our multidisciplinary team of experts, in conjunction with advanced technology and progressive diagnostic and therapeutic options. Our team includes physicians - with expertise in breast radiology, breast surgery, pathology, medical oncology, radiation oncology* and plastic surgery - and a team of technologists, nurses, physical therapists, nutritionists and social workers all dedicated to breast cancer patients. * Radiation Oncology representation is by physicians at Wentworth Douglass Hospital in Dover, NH
DOES MY INSURANCE PAY FOR MY MAMMOGRAM?
In most states, screening mammograms are considered preventive care and are covered by insurances (based on your age and frequency - check with your insurance carrier to be sure). This link to the American Cancer Society gives helpful, up-to-date information on coverage laws by state.
ARE THERE PROGRAMS TO HELP IF I CAN'T AFFORD DIAGNOSTIC TESTS?
York Hospital's Caring for All Program can help determine the best options for you - whether you are uninsured, under-insured or have a high-deductible plan. Call (207) 361-6988. Also, the Maine CDC Breast and Cervical Health Program offers free pap tests and mammograms to those that qualify.
DOWNLOAD OUR BREAST CARE CENTER BROCHURE
Click this link for more information about York's Hospital's Breast Care Center.
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOSPITAL'S BREAST MRI
Click this link for a brochure about York Hospital's dedicated Aurora Breast MRI.
Breast Cancer Living Well Program
The Breast Cancer Living Well Program provides support to those who have been diagnosed with, are undergoing treatment for, or are recovering from breast cancer. The program includes a multitude of patient care services and programs that focus on a person's well-being and quality of life. Click here to learn more about The Pink Carpet event, raising funds for these deserving programs!
- Pre-operative Classes - provide women with an individual overview of what to expect before and after surgery.
- Pre-operative Reiki - to reduce stress and improve sense of well-being.
- Massage dedicated to breast care by a professional trained in post-operative breast cancer massage treatments.
- Guided Meditation and Spiritual Care
- Emergency Assistance - provides immediate access to gas or grocery gift cards for women and their families who may be struggling financially during breast cancer treatment.
- Creativity Programs - including art and music, offered to patients while undergoing chemotherapy and are designed for one-on-one interface between patients and artists.
- Exercise Programs - Yoga and Dance, taught by individuals trained in techniques that best serve the breast cancer patient.
- Nutritional Guidance by a certified York Hospital Nutritionist.
- Self Care - hair, natural product lines, manicures and aesthetic services recommendations.
- Support Group - A dedicated and facilitated Breast Cancer Support Group.
York Hospital Breast Care
15 Hospital Drive, York, Maine 03909
York Hospital in Wells Breast Care
112 Sanford Road, Wells, Maine 04090
Phone: (207) 351-2023