Volunteers and Student Interns
Please scroll down for:
– Scholarship opportunities
-Student Intern information
-Medical Assistant (MA) Apprentice program
-A special message to our volunteers
York Hospital is known for providing exceptional patient care and our patient surveys prove it! If you enjoy working in a team-focused environment where your input and professional judgment are paramount to highly personalized patient care, we’d like to learn more about your professional goals.
The Volunteer Program at York Hospital has a place for everyone. You may be retired, involved in your career, a stay-at-home parent, young or elder, male or female. Our Hospital has varied opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds. Volunteers assist patients, families, and staff in many different areas within the hospital and its community sites in York, Kittery, Berwick, South Berwick, Wells, Sanford, and Kennebunk.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Patient Rounders – talking to patients and families around the hospital about their experience while here
- Physician’s offices – helping where needed in many of our physician practices
- Bridges/transportation – The Bridges Program at York Hospital is a volunteer program that introduces a York Hospital patient to someone in the community who provides a weekly check-in and helps with grocery shopping, visiting and companionship, transportation, or errands.
- Reiki Services – providing relaxation treatments for patients
- Pet Therapy – bringing certified pets in the hospital to visit with patients and families
- Clerical Services – helping many support services throughout the hospital system with filing and general office work
- Greeters/information – providing a warm greeting at the entrances to York Hospital and providing information
- Dining services – delivering meals to community members or trays and snacks to patients in the hospital
- Newspaper delivery – delivering the daily paper to patients so they can start their day informed
- Clinical Areas – assisting the clinical teams in many areas with support services and errands
- Pastoral Care – providing spiritual support for those who need guidance
- Emergency Services – assisting patients and families with support needs during unexpected visits.
- Environment Services/Interior Design – helping with artwork and other environmental needs
- Special Events & Fundraising – many volunteers help the hospital with raising funds and planning and delivering successful events.
- Patient Advisors – a committee of community members to provide insight, opinions, and ideas to help strengthen the hospital’s ability to provide unbelievable experiences every day. Click here to download an application, or feel free to contact the Volunteer office at (207) 351-2224 for more information.
For scholarship opportunities for those interested in pursuing higher education, click here
York Hospital provides hands-on experiences for students who are enrolled in a school program and are looking to fulfill an internship requirement of their program. Student can secure their own York Hospital preceptor with help from their school advisor or work with the Volunteer and Student Experiences office to secure a placement. To begin the process, all students fill out a Student Application and Student Confidentiality Agreement and submit it to Volunteer and Student Experiences.
Please note: The above applies to all students except undergraduate RN students. Clinical education experiences for undergraduate RN students are handled differently and go through our Clinical Education office. Students must be accepted via the Centralized Clinical Placement System (CCPS). All nursing students completing a practicum on the main hospital campus must complete the CCPS Online Orientation Program prior to starting. For more information, please contact the Clinical Education office at 207-351-2333 or [email protected].
Medical Assistant (MA) Apprentice program
York Hospital is a patient-centered, independent hospital located within a beautiful seaside community. We are proud to offer the best clinical expertise and technical advancements that healthcare has to offer. Our team members are committed to caring for every patient, their families, and one another, by instilling our vision of Loving Kindness to all. York Hospital has several primary care practices throughout all of southern Maine including York, Kittery, Wells, Sanford, and South Berwick.
Summary of MA Apprentice Program
York Hospital is in partnership with York County Community College (YCCC) to offer six student positions in the MA Apprentice program for each fall and spring. These positions require 20 paid clinical hours worked per week while attending YCCC classes to earn your MA certification at the end of the nine-month program. We are offering apprenticeships at one of the York Hospital Family Practice’s in York, Kittery, Wells, Sanford or South Berwick. The Medical Assistant works with the practice team to assist in the delivery of direct and indirect patient care in the office setting under the supervision and direction of the Practice Providers and the Practice Manager. This includes, but is not limited to, utilization of skills in organization, planning, implementing, screening, and providing care through the use of hospital and practice standards of care.
- Part-Time – Day Shift (20 hours/week)
- Nursing/Clinical Support
- Click here to apply to the York Hospital and YCCC Medical Assistant Apprentice Program
- If you would like additional information about YCCC and the MA Apprentice Program, click here
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist care according to YH protocols and procedures; demonstrate clinical competence in office-specific procedural skills, treatments, patient/caregiver education, and acts as a patient advocate in the delivery and coordination of patient care.
- Perform initial patient intake inclusive of rooming patients, obtain/review patient personal/medical/ medication/allergy history, collection of vital signs, height/weight, complete health screening tools, and complete documentation/record keeping.
- Perform various data entry and information retrieval tasks using computerized patient record systems. Sort, file, forward, and scan information into electronic record systems as directed.
- Follow-up on test results by checking for outstanding results, routing to provider for review and following up with patients as directed by provider and appropriate to schedule further appointments or consultations, give out/send prescriptions authorized by provider etc.
- Practice specific competencies which may include: perform basic lab work; draw specimens and process or send to lab per office protocols, prepare other lab specimens such as cultures, UA, pap smears, etc. for lab pick up; provide minor procedural assists and perform point of care tests as directed by provider: EKG, strep screens, HgA1C, etc.
- Administer immunization/medications per provider direction
- Assist with patient registry management, participating in patient reminder processes and health promotion efforts, as well as previsit planning and chart prep.
- Provide optimal customer service to a member of the care team in person, by phone, or other practice-supported patients messaging system acting as a liaison between the patient and practice team to provide exceptional patient experiences.
- Organize exam rooms, set the room up for procedures, do general cleaning and office upkeep, assist with quality monitoring/record keeping/inventory of equipment/supplies.
- Ability to organize and multitask as a forward-thinker, and remain calm and personable in a fast-paced medical office setting
- Provide efficient and effective care working with Providers during clinical sessions, as a reliable, flexible, and dependable team member. Demonstrate a willingness to learn and adapt to the dynamics of a constantly changing health care environment.
- Collaborate with other health care providers, physicians, Practice Manager, clinical staff, and support staff regarding practice and patient needs.
- Other duties as assigned.Competencies Required:
- Oral Communication
- High energy
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal skills
In order to help us continue to provide exceptional patient care experiences, we will need you to have the following:
High School Diploma or equivalent preferred. Must be accepted and enrolled into the York County Community College Medical Assisting Apprenticeship Program. Throughout the Apprenticeship, all courses including Skills Labs must be passed with a grade of C or better in order to remain in the Apprenticeship.
Must maintain confidentiality at all times. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are necessary for interacting with patients, physicians, supervisors and other staff with the ability to demonstrate compassion and caring in dealing with others. Ability to organize and accomplish multiple tasks and to have the flexibility to meet changing demands on a daily basis. Ability to project a pleasant and professional image even under stressful situations.
Living loving kindness is more than patient-centered care. It’s about our people! Part of that commitment is to always provide our team members with benefits at a level that echoes their passion. For that reason, York Hospital offers MA Apprentices, their dependents, and domestic partners a full suite of benefits. We encourage you to review our full benefits by clicking here.
Thank You to our YH Volunteers
Every YH volunteer is a unique and important piece in a puzzle that comes together to create York Hospital’s big picture. We had received many wonderful sentiments about YH volunteers during Volunteer Appreciation Week. It is our pleasure to share those sentiments here and present a colorful and complete picture that truly illustrates York Hospital’s mission of providing safe, trusted, quality care, with loving kindness, to our patients and our community. Please take a moment to read about our amazing and dedicated volunteers. Thank you to EVERYONE — volunteers and caregivers alike – who helps ensure that York Hospital is a welcoming, caring, beacon of hope and healing in our community.