York Hospital is known for providing exceptional patient care and our patient surveys prove it! If you enjoy working in a team focused environment where your input and professional judgment are paramount to highly personalized patient care, we’d like to learn more about your professional goals.
The Volunteer Program at York Hospital has a place for everyone. You may be retired, involved in your career, a stay at home parent, young or elder, male or female. Our Hospital has varied opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds. Volunteers assist patients, families, and staff in many different areas within the hospital and its community sites in York, Kittery, Berwick, South Berwick, Wells, Sanford and Kennebunk.
Volunteer for the Covid vaccine distribution
If you would like to volunteer your services in helping with York Hospital’s Covid vaccine distribution, please Click here to download the vaccine volunteer application. Click here to download the confidentiality agreement.
Vaccine volunteer opportunities include:
Parking/Greeter: 1 per day for 8 hours or divided into shifts (Non-Clinical). This is an outside position greeting people in their cars as they arrive; ensuring people have the proper paperwork; and asking them to stay in their cars until a few minutes before their appointment. Monitoring the lot to be sure people are safe getting in and out. Distributing the Care Access number for anyone stopping by with questions about registering for the vaccine or for general vaccine questions – ensuring they stay in their cars. Asking the Clinic Coordinator to come out if additional help is needed.
Check-In: (Tablet Usage) 1 per 2 hour time slot (Non-Clinical). Greeting patients as they enter the building; verifying name, DOB and Maine ID; verifying their credentials based on what stage of the vaccine they are in. (i.e. Healthcare ID); and directing patients to the screening table. An IPad is used for the check-in process.
Screener: 3 per 2 hour time slot (Non-Clinical). Verifying that patients are free of symptoms; taking a no-touch temperature across the forehead; and ensuring they have their consent form filled out and signed. Helping with sanitizing surfaces and used chairs.
Check-Out: (Tablet Usage) 2 per 2 hour time slot (Non-Clinical). Check-out using an IPad. Update patients Vaccination Card and verify their next appointment.
Vaccinator: 5 per 2 hour time slot once at peak (Clinical). Must have current Maine license or certification and competency is required.
Other Volunteer opportunities include:
- Patient Rounders – talking to patients and families around the hospital about their experience while here
- Physician’s offices – helping where needed in many of our physician practices
- Bridges/transportation – The Bridges Program at York Hospital is a volunteer program that introduces a York Hospital patient to someone in the community who provides a weekly check in and help with grocery shopping, visiting and companionship, transportation or errands.
- Reiki Services – providing relaxation treatments for patients
- Pet Therapy – bringing certified pets in the hospital to visit with patients and families
- Clerical Services – helping many support services throughout the hospital system with filing and general office work
- Greeters/information – providing a warm greeting at the entrances to York Hospital and providing information
- Dining services – delivering meals to community members or trays and snacks to patients in the hospital
- Newspaper delivery – delivering the daily paper to patients so they can start their day informed
- Clinical Areas – assisting the clinical teams in many areas with support services and errands
- Pastoral Care – providing spiritual support for those who need guidance
- Emergency Services – assisting patients and families with support needs during unexpected visits.
- Environment Services/Interior Design – helping with artwork and other environmental needs
- Special Events & Fundraising – many volunteers help the hospital with raising funds and planning and delivering successful events.
- Patient Advisors – a committee of community members to provide insight, opinions and ideas to help strengthen the hospital’s ability to provide unbelievable experiences every day.